Today Polish jazz pianist, Pawel Kaczmarczyk celebrates his 30 birthday. Pawel was born in Krakow of Feb 8, 1984. By the time he was in high school Pawel and his band, began to participate in jazz festivals, winning first prizes and awards and he hasn’t stopped since!
In 2001 he founded the KBD trio with Michael Barański and Paul Dobrowolski. Were inspired music in the style of Bill Evans , Herbie Hancock andWayne Shorter . A year later, the trio took first place at the 26th International Competition for Young and Debuting Jazz “Jazz Juniors”, and he was recognized as the best instrumentalist of the competition. Trio won the Grand Prix at the 40th Wroclaw Jazz Festival Jazz on the Oder in the same year.
Pawel has become one of the most renowned pianists of the younger generation od European jazz artists.and is known for his virtuosity, creativity and extremely mature technique. Here’s a partial list of the awards that he has garnered…
- 2002 – 1st place at the 26th “Jazz Juniors” International Competition for Young and Debuting Jazz Groups (with Kaczmarczyk/Jaros/Dobrowolski Trio)
- 2002 – the title of Best Instrumentalist at Poland’s Jazz Juniors competition
- 2004 – Grand Prix at the 40th “Jazz on the Oder” Jazz Festival in Wroclaw (with KBD Trio)
- 2004 – several medals at the “Kultursalen Horbiger” competition in Vienna (with Kaczmarczyk/Nowicki/Traczyk/Dobrowolski Quartet)
- 2004 – “Key to a Career” prize at the “Pomeranian Jazz Autumn” festival
- 2006 – 1st place at the “JUNIOR JAZZ 2006” International Competition for Jazz Groups in Usti nad Labem (Czech Republic)
- Album of The Year (2007) in Jazz Forum Magazine’s “Jazz Top” readers’ poll (for “Audiofeeling”)
- Fryderyk (Nomination) (2008) (for “The Songs From A New Place” by Rafal Sarnecki)
- Pianist of The Year (2009) in Jazz Forum Magazine’s “Jazz Top” readers’ poll
- Album of The Year (2009) in Jazz Forum Magazine’s “Jazz Top” readers’ poll (for “Complexity in Simplicity”)
- “Melomani” Jazz Society’s Jazz Oscars Grand Prix in the Artist of The Year 2009 category
- “Melomani” Jazz Society’s Jazz Oscars Grand Prix in the Album of The Year 2009 category (for “Complexity in Simplicity”)
- Fryderyk (Nomination) – the Jazz Musician of the Year 2009
To hear Kaczmarczyk dig deeply into the keys is to understand what full-bodied, wholly committed jazz pianism is all about
Here’s the playing “Get More Chicks” at the Garana Jazz Festival So Happy Birthday, Pawel!! Check out his music at….
Pawel’s Website: http://www.pawelkaczmarczyk.com/en#/news/index
Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/dilberg1?feature=watch